Support the Friends
Library MaterialsDonation of books, periodicals and recordings of sea chanteys to the Library Friends is encouraged. These donations are immediately offered to the Library, which selects items to add to the library collection.
Items not selected are then sold at our onsite and internet book sales, with proceeds applied to care of the library collection and purchase of books and other library materials, unless the donor wishes the non-selected portion to be returned or specifies some other disposition.
Such donations to the Library Friends are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. A donor wishing to claim an income tax deduction may need to have the donation appraised. Appraisal, when desired, should be completed before deposit of the donation with the Library Friends, although special arrangements may be made to hold the donation intact for a limited period while the Donor arranges for an appraisal. To protect both the donor and the Library Friends, no appraisal may be made by the Library Friends. Since tax laws change from time to time, donors are encouraged to consult the IRS or a tax expert about current requirements.
In some cases, donors prefer to donate directly to the National Park Service; such donations are also tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.
For more information, contact the Book Committee Chairman, Doug Burrill.
Other DonationsThere are many other ways you can help:
- Donations in kind--stocks, bonds, real estate, or items useful for a library. If you wish to donate an item other than a readily marketable security, inquire as to what items are needed. You may take a tax deduction of the fair market value of your donation.
- Corporate matching programs--many employers will match your cash contribution to qualified charities. Check with your employers to see if they will match your qualified charitable donation.
- United Way--many employers participate in the United Way program. Direct your United Way donation to Friends of the San Francisco Maritime Museum Library, Building E, Fort Mason Center, San Francisco, CA 94602-1394.
- Cash donations -- Support the work of the Library.
You can donate on-line via PayPal, click the button below.
Estate Planning/Planned GivingYou can:
- Honor a friend or a loved one with a gift to the Library Friends.
- Make gifts to the Library Friends as part of a planned giving program.
- Make a bequest to Friends of the San Francisco Maritime Museum Library in your will.
- Purchase a gift annuity to increase your retirement income and benefit the Library Friends.
- Establish trusts to increase your financial security and benefit the Library Friends.
Online Book SalesThe Library Friends sell books online at ABEBooks. To search for our books:
Visit our ABE web page, and select "Search our inventory" or "Browse our inventory." If you order from us, please keep in mind that all work on the book sale is done by volunteers, whose schedules vary, and we appreciate your patience.
And, we could use your help with the booksales! To volunteer, please contact the Book Committee Chairman, Doug Burrill. To volunteer for other Library tasks, please call the Park's Volunteer Office at 415-556-1613.
The Friends of the San Francisco Maritime Museum Library is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization
Our federal Tax ID number is: 94-2879-289